From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 07:46:59 -0400
Greetings
The fact is, the precise identification of genes that influence
behavior is not here yet. As the genomes get mapped, it becomes clear
that *combinations* of genes produce characteristics, and the
presence of particular genes do not necessarily result in traits
always being expressed. A recent study *(see below) compared the
hypothetical relationship between the families of bees based on
appearance (morphometrics) and based on genetic markers. Two
completely different lineages appeared. So, the correlation between
genes and characteristics is not directly established.

But, if the Africanized bees didn't have particular characteristics
that differentiate them from other bees, we wouldn't be having this
discussion. It is these characteristics that makes them of
importance. Based on behavior alone, one could justify destroying any
colony. Personally, I would not tolerate any hive that repeatedly
displays extremely aggressive behavior. In populated USA where
Africanized bees are present, the common approach is to destroy any
"feral" hives as well as hostile hives in apiaries. The
identification tests are more for confirmation and scientific
purposes.

The European honey bee is probably the main reason that beekeeping
was ever developed. It has been manageable for centuries. Were it not
for this fact, modern beekeeping might not have come about. It was
not developed in Africa or even in Asia, where the other species
prevail -- those are either too hostile (Apis dorsata) or produce too
little honey (Apis cerana). So, we have relatively docile bees to
thank for most of the history of beekeeping. Can you imagine Huber or
Langstroth ever making their discoveries with bees that were always
flting off the handle and stinging everything that  moves?

Of course, this knowledge has led to understanding other bees and
even other stinging insects. People have studied the internal
workings of nests of vicious species like hornets. But despite the
fact that vicious bees can be successfully managed, most people agree
that these are not desirable bees. In the tropical Americas, it is a
matter of adapt or get out. Most beekeepers in the USA and Canada
still hold to the idea that we will fight the influx of African
traits. But with the increased emphasis on honey bee breeding, this
is just one more characteristic that has to be considered when
developing a high quality honey bee line.

*from "Trees for bees" by Peter J. Lockhart and Sydney A. Cameron:

--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>