From:
"D. Murrell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:47:27 -0500
Hi Guys,

>I've provided some numbers....

Well, I provided them to somebody :>))) I used the internet form to submit
them to the moderators. Maybe they didn't get approved. But I'll bet I
probably didn't submit them properly. So here's the condensed version:

Before mites, average yields in my area, were 60 to 80lbs. I averaged 80 to
100lbs/hive. I ran my hives in two deeps. Didn't migrate. And fed a little
sugar spring and fall. The hives were run conventionally. Swarming was the
biggest concern with minor amount of the brood diseases. No prophylactic
antibiotic treatments were used. Honey prices were the other major concern.
Overwintering losses were less than 10% and were made using splits.

After mites, average yields decreased. Mine were 60 to 80lbs. Hives were run
the same way with strips and prophylactic antibiotic grease patties.
Wintering losses increases three fold. Swarming problems decreased as the
bees weren't strong enough and/or were split more. Winter losses were made
up by purchasing packages. Management was intensive with second season queen
replacements, equilizing, etc..

After using small cell comb without treatments or feeding, and hives in
three deeps, yields increased to 90 to 120lbs. Wintering losses decreased to
a negligible level with the hives full of bees and ready to swarm in the spring.

After incorporating checkerboarding, production increased to 140 to
160lbs/hive. Swarming is almost non-existent. And my early spring hive
populations are huge. All of my equipment is full of bees. My management
could be classed as almost let alone.

I left commercial beekeeping right after I started using small cell comb. I
've shared these results with my commercial beekeeping friends and have been
met openly with contempt and ridicule. Although, I've been asked privately
for my advice. These guys won't share their production data. But I suspect,
with the continued drought and their extensive use of packages, it's
somewhere on the low end or below the area average of about 70lbs. It may be
closer to 50lbs.

These guys run a deep and a medium. Are migratory. Treat extensively with
just about everything. The bees live on corn syrup. Winter losses are
extensive and replaced with package bees. And they loose way over half their
bees about every 6 years. Brood diseases are rampant. And my bees are
surrounded by theirs.

Regards
Dennis
Sorry for the missing post.