From:
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:27:38 -0800
Bob Harrison wrote:

>Around two years ago beekeepers from Germany started reporting  beekeepers
>using OA had contracted a rare from of cancer. Those planning on using the vapor method need to wear a mask.

Absolutely!  Here's an excert from my next article: German researchers,
Gumpp, et al. (2003), state that “By appropriate use there is no risk to
the health of the apiarist.”  Their feeling was that the OA vapor
quickly recondenses into an aerosol of tiny crystals, which are less
dangerous than a vapor.  They suggest wearing safety goggles, acid proof
gloves, and a disposable cloth dust/mist mask equivalent to NIOSH N95
(“N95” will be stamped on the front—they cost anywhere from $12-$36 from
Conney.com).

>Also there are many tests which have been done on dribbling in summer. The
>effiacy is LOW! Most tests show 40-60% after three treatments with some
>brood and egg kill.

My experience confirms this.  I've used it the past two summers, and it
kept my bees alive, but I plan to use Apiguard or MiteAway next year.

>Night & day difference between a once a year winter dose and three summer
>doses.

The winter dribble is incredibly effective!

>Hedging your bet with varroa tolerant stock certainly helps with soft
>treatments.

In my opinion, soft treatments are a stopgap measure as we breed better
bees.

>Placing varroa tolerance at the
>top of the queen selection list can hurt the commercial beekeeper in my
>opinion.

I totally agree!  Production comes first, then everything else, within
reason.  I've learned this several times in my breeding programs over
the past 25 years.

>Despite claims wax contaimination is always a chance when any chemical is
>used in a bee hive. Reports of formic acid eating up the nails in bee
>equipment are already being heard out of Canada.

I'm concerned about overuse of oxalic.  One a year in fall/winter should
be it!

>Off topic:
>Several beekeepers have questioned my sanity in running a small cell
>experiment this season.

I applaud you.  We need far more well-conceived, and controlled
experiments in many areas.