From:
Charles Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 2015 08:28:56 -0600
As much as I enjoy a number of electronic devices (I haven't used my slide rule in years), I also trust mechanical scales more so than cheap digital.
I use my old triple beam balance all the time, including for measuring oxalic.  Be sure to use plastic weigh boats (or a plastic cup) to avoid getting acid on the balance.

I am sure I am the outcast in this one,  but I have quit weighing my dose for vaporization   I use several Varrox units at a time.  When I started  I was careful to weigh and measure.    But after doing a Lot of hives you realize some are doubles,  some are singles,  some have a lot of bees some are light in bees.

SO a double deep gets a Varrox cup tamped down and struck off,    1 1/2 gets a just light fill and strike off.  And singles a bit less.

With the Varrox units TIME in the hives is a bigger variable.  I have seen no  issues with the amount, and have done 3-4k hives this way.

Jim is absolutely right about how hot the units get!   They will light a smoker.

Last year I killed one hive as I started a plastic frame on fire,  and the fumes killed them.  This year  I came close on a super duper triple deep hive as the wood on the bottom board and paint scorched really bad  the fumes stunned the bees badly.

When using the Varrox units be sure the unit is not pinched between the frames and the bottom boards.  If you have a 3/4 gap you should be fine,  but will see scorch marks on the wood.   Some of my hives are set up with 1/2 gap and they are always a problem. These hives with tight bottom gaps put doward pressure on the vaporizer and hold it tight against the bottom boards. I have gone to leaving the hive tool jammed in place while those hives are fumigated.

Yes  the fumes are noxious,  use your gear.

Charles