Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 07:02:30 EDT
I have been asked to find out some background to attempts to establish
beekeeping on the Falkland Islands. There was perceived to be a need to
improve pollination, particularly for clover, to improve forage for sheep.
The officials in charge of agriculture imported bees from Uruguay. I have a
copy of a photo of a civilian, presumably the Ministry man. and a serviceman
looking at bees in what appear to be Langstroth hives, with an extra cover
for wind protection.

If anyone has any information on this project, particularly from Uruguay, it
would help fill in the picture.

Regards

Matthew Allan