From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:53:17 -0700
Michael W Stoops wrote:

> What about those rare occasions where a feral colony is found, and evidence
> might suggest that it has been in continual existance for more than a couple
> of years?    >>>>>>>>  I have several "beehavers" in the area whom I
> hope to approach in an interest in determining just how "mite resistant"
> their colonies are.  If the colonies "seem" to be mite resistant in some
> way, I hope to encourage them to make splits next spring and buy several
> splits from each.

> Mike Stoops
> 1/2 way between Montgomery & Mobile, Alabama, USA

Sounds like a very workable plan. I think even "resistant" colonies can be
overwhelmed by exposure to large mite populations, so I wouldn't throw promising
colonies into the meat-grinder in heavily infested beeyards without keeping some
relatively isolated backups.
John F. Edwards
"Feral Bee Tracker and AHB Identifier"
Carl Hayden Bee Research Center