From:
John Phipps <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:07:13 +0200
Bees in Literature. I find Leo Tolstoy interesting as regards his
comments on bees. In Ressurrection he writes: "We may deal with things
without love - we cut down trees, make bricks, hammering iron without
love - but we cannot deal with men without it, just as one cannot deal
with bees without being carerful. If one deals carelessly with bees one
will injured them and will oneself be injured." Interestingly, in his
same book,  Nekhlyudov who seduced Maslova - who was then deserted and
became a prostitute - feels that their earlier, happier and chaste
relationship was something she struck out of her recollections "closed
up and plastered over so that they should not escape; as bees, in order
to protect the results of their labour, sometimes plaster up a nest of
wax-worms".  Tolstoy was a beekeeper and bees are often alluded to in
his works, but I have never come across honeybees dealing with waxmohs
in this manner.

John Phipps
John Phipps
Editor: The Beekeepers Quarterly