From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:43:06 -0400
Two recent posts, "SmartStax Corn: Corporate War on Bees" and "Super Bee Consumed by Giant Capitalist Beast" echo many similar themes. The themes of science in bed with evil capitalism, science intends to poison us for profit, and the notion we can somehow return to a wild and free state of Eden are common threads in these presentations. I had thought of critiquing the content, but then felt that nothing would be gained from that. So, instead, I wish to present a different point of view which regards scientific progress in a more favorable light. Bear in mind that science is very expensive, and research often comes up empty handed. But this trial and error method is the only one that moves us forward.

> There is a growing realization among all sectors of society that nations must adopt sustainable agricultural and industrial practices to realize the goal of providing fresh water, a healthy diet, and adequate living standards, not only in the short term, but also into the distant future. The need to develop higher-yielding crop varieties that will be adapted to local conditions and conducive to sustainable agriculture, and remain high yielding in the absence of irrigation and large inputs of petrochemicals (fertilizer and pesticides), is an exceptionally tall order, especially in the short time frame available. Many plant scientists believe that the use of modern biotechnology, molecular breeding techniques, and genetic engineering of crop species can contribute significantly to achieving these goals.

> There is no evidence that transgenic foods are fundamentally unsafe for human consumption. Although it might be possible to create unhealthy foods using transgenic technology (for example, foods that contain an allergenic or toxic compound), food safety regulations are in place to prevent this from happening (currently these regulations are far more stringent than for nontransgenic foods). More importantly, the use of modern biotechnology could lead to the production of foods that are more nutritious and healthy for individuals.

> It is becoming increasingly apparent that the environmental benefits of transgenic crops outweigh any potential environmental risks. Jonathan Jones addressed issues related to the use of biotechnology to develop more disease-resistant crop varieties. This is an area where transgenic crops can have a major impact on environmental protection and the development of sustainable agriculture. As noted by Jones, "controlling plant disease with genetics will allow us to move away from controlling it with chemistry." Namely, the use of transgenic crops that are genetically modified to resist disease can lead to significant reductions in the use of chemical pesticides, reducing negative impacts on the environment as well as creating a healthier environment for farm workers, and can lower significantly the energy demands of agriculture.

The Future of Science: Food and Water for Life, Nancy A. Eckardt
in: The Plant Cell, Vol. 21: 368–372, February 2009