From:
dan hendricks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:48:29 -0700
Jennifer, I NEVER smoke my bees.  Move slowly with minimum jarring.
Distinguish between bees flying all around you and those which
actually land on you and sting (or try to).  In the latter case,
spray yourself with OFF and they will stop doing that.
HONEY-B-HEALTHY solution (advertised in Bee Culture) is very calming
if the flying bees get on your nerves.

I also cover the frames not being examined with cloths (like a nurse
assists during an appendectomy).  The covered bees are kept quiet
until it is their turn to be examined.  Dan