From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 10:38:31 +0100
Hi Dee

You try to infer that there are 7-10 possibly anarchistic workers in a
hive, but the logic you are using is false...

You consider an 'unlimited brood nest' in '4-5 deeps' and a hive
population of 70,000 workers.

Such an arrangement does not allow enough separation between the nest
itself and the area where the anarchy is to take place, you may consider
such an arrangement useful for your style of management, but the
'chimney' shaped centre where brood is raised would contain a high
pheromone load. This wide pheromone distribution and lack of distance
would actually suppress anarchistic behaviour to lower levels than would
be encountered in the natural situation of a more compact brood nest
with honey storage arranged above.

> Also, with failing queens and therefore the hole for
> enlarging the seeing of such phenomania the odds also would
> go up.

Again with the hive arrangement that you describe, the lowering of queen
pheromone as a queen ages, would have less effect than with a more
compact nest. Your tall centrally placed brood combs would emit a
considerably larger amount of brood pheromone and pheromones that had be
absorbed by the wax because of the large surface area to volume ratio,
so the pheromone repression on laying workers and/or anarchistic workers
does not reduce as much with your 'unlimited system', so in turn the
anarchistic behaviour actually shows up less.

You also try to imply that anarchy and thelytoky are useful fall back
strategies, there are 'fall back' strategies, but they are 'last ditch'
extreme strategies and there are other safety nets that come into play
far more readily than anarchy and thelytoky... One very simple thing
that has much more bearing on survivability of the species is the laying
of more than one queen in a hive (for an extended period of weeks,
months or years) this multiple queen phenomena exists at a level around
a hundred times more prevalent than anarchistic workers.

> By the way was that egg stolen they used? Ever hear of
> that?

Yes I've heard of that and I have heard of a small number of cases that
appear to be only explainable by egg moving. As egg moving is possible I
reckon it happens, but what is important is the level of the activity,
which is low... I can't put numbers on it, but it must be low or it
would be noticed more by beekeepers and we would thus know more about it.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Short FallBack M/c, Build 6.02/3.1 (stable)