From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2007 11:20:05 -0700
> I fully agree. However, you seem to be rather lonely with this view, at
> least so far. And it can be done, tame them, I mean. Maybe change
> management methods here and there a bit. Less smoke, less banging around
> of hive parts, etc.

I suspect there are quite a few beekeepers in the US who are managing bees
with a fair percentage of AHB in them, and in some cases, without much
change in management.  In some cases, they are now pretty much a non-event.
In some other areas, particularly newly colonized areas, they are still a
problem, and there may be several distinct invasions, some of which are more
benign than others.

The problem is that AHB in the US has been demonized by authorities, and
there is an entrenched position--historical and current--to defend on the
part of those who make a career of identifying, discussing and fighting
them.

I'd say the war against AHB is over and the time for reconciliation with the
facts has arrived.

allen
Warning: Opinion, not necessarily fact