From:
Nick Wallingford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:13:37 +1200
> My wife's book group is reading "Lolita" and they came across a passage about the pair driving through Arizona and California, where at the border "a policeman's cousin would peer with such intensit
>  at us....[and ask] Any honey?"
>     Do any of you know whether there were such inspections 40 years ago and if so, what would they be looking for?   Or is this just part of Nabokov's imagination?

Not sure about 40, but certainly 30 years ago, when I'd occasionally
travel that way.  There'd be a setup that looked like a toll booth
sort of thing, with the Californian agriculture people asking
questions and periodically inspecting/searching...

  (\           Nick Wallingford
 {|||8-        home [log in to unmask]
  (/           work [log in to unmask]
NZ Beekeeping  http://www.beekeeping.co.nz