Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 2002 08:11:47 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Hello Al and All,

Al wrote;
Although I have seen no documented scientific proof that Imidacloprid is  causing high bee mortality I would welcome discussion  from those  beekeepers who suspect they are having a problem with Imidacloprid  poisoning. 

I am going to assume since Al's post has been posted without response that  Imidacloprid poisoning is not being seen on a large scale in the U.S.

Myself and several others have not seen any signs yet. We always lose a percentage of hives to unknown pesticide poisoning but the percent has been small for years. I do remember the years of widespread pesticide kills several decades ago.  

Kills from Arial spraying of  misquitos has been the largest kills I have heard of in the last decade but I can only speak for myself and areas  of beekeepers I network with. 

In your hives Al are the bees making it back to the hives to die and found in front or are the bees simply disappearing?

Are you only finding  kills in areas within several miles of fields using Imidacloprid?

If so which Bayer product do you suspect?

Again I do not believe we have got a Imidacloprid problem in our area of the midwest yet. I have had no experience with Imidacloprid as is the case with my beekeeping friends.  I am only trying to get a handle on why you suspect Imidacloprid and the signs which you are seeing  so we can be on the lookout also.   We only seek generalities  which will not affect your case with Bayer. 

Moving away from pesticdes has always been my approach.  May not be possible in your case Al. 

Most lawsuits are not won concerning pesticdes and are expensive to persue do to the deep pockets of the other side.  I cite the recent lawsuits lost by Florida commercial beekeepers for losses incured from ariel spraying. As an example. 

Florida beekeepers NEVER thought they would lose the case so invested huge sums of money in the case.  The proof was overwhelming in favor of the beekeepers in my opinion.

Perhaps the old indemmenty  program should be resurected. I believe the last indemnity program was in effect in the late 70's but stand to be corrected if wrong.  Although only enough money was provided for a package of bees and lost pollination fees and honey crops were not takin into account the USDA was not as hard to convince as a court of law.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison

ATOM RSS1 RSS2