From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:57:44 -0500
As someone with a lifetime passion for comb honey and, more recently, a
vested interest, I have been very interested in this discussion.  Many of
the contributors have (more or less) said simply "get them (young people) to
eat it, and you have a repeat customer"!  I think this is true, and not all
that difficult.  As evidence:

1. When Richard Taylor started seriously producing comb honey, in the early
1960's, he also observed that the only buyers were "older" folks.  Assuming
these were over age 60 at the time, very few, if any, are alive today.  Yet,
we hear the same refrain.  At one time or another, each of these old folks
was younger and started eating comb honey!
2. Richard Taylor no longer keeps bees, but still operates his honey stand.
I happen to know that he annually sells over 1,000 sections from this simple
roadside stand.  He has obviously developed a group of customers who return
year after year.
3. I started seriously producing comb honey in the early 70's, and also
observed that most buyers were older folks.  Today that is no longer true in
my operation.  While I have very few retail customers (I mostly sell
wholesale), I think all are in their 50's or younger.  Don't know why...that
is just the way things have worked out.
4. My few retail customers tend to be serious consumers of comb honey who
have searched me out.  This year I picked up just two.  Each found me
through a personal reference, and each reported that they got very
frustrated from constantly having to search for comb honey.  I don't think
either is 40!
5. This past Saturday I spent at the Ohio State beekeeping meeting in
Reynoldsburg.  Two Ross Round(tm) customers approached me to tell me how
their difficulties in selling sections disappeared when they made the simple
step of offering samples with disposable plastic spoons.  One said he easily
sold over 300 sections in 2000, and the other sells well over 1,000 sections
(some of which he buys from others).

Selling extracted honey is relatively easy.  By comparison, I think, selling
comb honey initially requires more personal contact and ingenuity.  However,
it is far more fun and satisfying to produce comb honey...not to mention the
enormous financial benefits.

I hope this helps,

Lloyd
Mailto:[log in to unmask]
Lloyd Spear Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
Visit our web site at http://www.rossrounds.com.