From:
Mark Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:48:47 +0200
Hi All
There seems to be a lot of confusion on the pseudoscorpion. I am not
surprised as little or no research has been done on this small creature.
There are about 6000 pseudoscorpions listed to date, only a few occure in
the honey bee hive. Some pray on the bee itself, in South Africa we have two
different pseudo's that are found in the hive ( I dont have the scientific
names with me at the moment, but will post later). I have e-mailed Barry
Donavan in New Zealand and he found some research on these small creatures.
The pseudoscorpions are of the Arachnid (spider) family. Of the many
species, there is a chance that we might find a solution for a chemical free
hive. The problem lies in funding as chemicals aids can be sold and pay for
research, but to get research monies back from a bio control is not easy.
The "research " I have done to date is out of the intrest I have in bee's as
they are my lively hood. If we as bee farmers share the info and knolage we
have, we will all have a easer time trying to make a living. There is enough
business out ther for all of us and more, we are the ones that need to stand
togeather to promote our industry, but normaly there is a lot of back
biting, and we forget about the real reason we are bee farming. Firstly I
will aggree it is to make a desent living, but to do that we need happy
clients and healthy bees. The products we supply from our bees is perfect,
only our handling of it can dammage its quality. Sell a quality product or
professional servise and a happy client will follow you like a bad smell.

As I get more info or photo's I will post it.

Here's to a chemical free hive and a happy and educated customer.

Happy Christmas and happy New Year to all.

Mark Hale
South Africa