From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:17:41 -0500
Hello Tom & All,
Its not so much the money but the way its spent. $300 an hour is not
unusual for top lawyers. Adds up fast but these guys can convine those in a
position to change things the beekeeper/almond grower need for the change.

The problem with the opening of the Canada border comes from the organized
oposition. If Canada beekeepers said today we want the border open the
border would open fast. So far Canadian beekeepers wanting the border open
have not hired the lawyers to present a case.

My brother is a lawyer. He was told in law school :

" the person which has his self for a lawyer has a fool for a lawyer"

Harsh words but both the ABF & AHPA hire lawyers to make change.

A close friend queen breeder has been upset with not being able to ship
queens into Canada. He told me " I filled out all the required paperwork"

Filling out the paperwork does not get the interest as a visit from a sharp
legal mind with a beekeeper by his side.

Reason is the key to getting change.

We needed those Australian package bees & queens. California and Hawaii
queen & package producers could not or in the case of Gus Rouse would not
supply. Gus was contacted and asked if he would gear up earlier in the
season and also produce packages.

Gus said at the time he did not want to put on another crew then and also
was not interested in producing package bees.

Reason ( and perhaps a sharp legal mind) opened the U.S. to Australian bees.

The people with the power to change the rules are not beekeepers. All I
have met are reasonable people and respond to reason.

I left these posts hid under the UK original question as we are talking
very sensitive issues. You do not have to agree with the points I have made
but at least think about the points.

If an all out effort were made to reopen the Canadian border with sharp
local lawyers and the court system I believe the border would open. I do
not see the need now but maybe in a few years to ease the pressure to open
the south border by almond growers/brokers and bee haulers.

bob