From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:37:07 -0400
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:50:33 EDT, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>I would like an explanation as to the mechanism by which creatures
>delivered without benefit of placenta or mammary can receive immunity from their
>parents.

> exposure to dietary non-pathogenic bacteria can induce several aspects of immune
response in an insect herbivore, the cabbage semilooper (Trichoplusia ni). Here, we test the
effects of this exposure on the immune status of the next generation, measuring immune
parameters on three different levels—enzyme activities, protein expression and transcript
abundance. We also monitored fitness-related traits which are often negatively correlated
with increased immunocompetence. We found evidence for trans-generational priming on all
these levels, with immune system parameters that are clearly not transmitted in a 1&#8202;:&#8202;1 ratio
from parent to offspring, but rather in a complex manner with a strong but not exclusive
maternal component. These findings indicate that trans-generational priming is a complex
and multifaceted phenomenon, potentially playing a role as a long-term but non-genetic
mode of environmental adaptation.

"Dietary-dependent trans-generational immune priming in an insect herbivore"
Dalial Freitak, David G. Heckel and Heiko Vogel
Proc. R. Soc. B -- April 2009