From:
Debra Sharpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:33:33 -0500
I have wanted to keep bees for many years and this spring installed my first
package.  After they had drawn comb on all 10 frames I put a full-sized hive
body on top and moved one frame up leaving nine in the bottom hive body and
nine on the top. I think I waited too long since they were very crowded and
not real happy. I've read many books and found in the Hive and the Honey Bee
recommendations about this - indicating you can move the fames around easier
and not crush as many bees with less than 10 fames. I have also read burr
comb and excess propolis may result if you don't keep bee space.  I really
like having the additional space since I feel like I crush bees trying to
dislodge the tight frames.  I realize where honey is being stored I can do
this since these cells can be slightly longer than brood comb.  What is
current opinion on this?  I also would like to know when I am checking my
bees should I use the bee brush to move them from areas I want to look at,
or when I replace supers so I do not crush them? They seem to get madder
when I brush them than if I were to crush a few.
About the new super, I have not placed drone comb in it because I expected
they needed the additional super for brood and since I will not be taking
any honey this year I figured it would not matter.  Next year I guess I'll
put shallow supers on as they need them with drone comb and a queen excluder
so I can harvest some. I live in SE Alabama so I figure they will need a lot
of honey to get through those warm winter days we sometimes have.  I will
also continue to feed as long as they take it. Is this a good approach?
I've read so many books but I'm still confused on a lot of these issues. I
have talked to local bee keepers but many are more into production than I am
so they have different concerns.
Help!!!
Newbee in Alabama