From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:43:46 -0500
IMO, Yoon's comments were very valuable.  However, I suspect Denise's losses
were not due to starvation or tracheal mites, but to a lack of ventilation.

The give-away are the comments about the 'wet' bees.  If they appeared damp
or wet, they died from the effects of condensation dripping on them.

Bees can and do overcome the effects of cold air by shivering their wing
muscles.  However, if they get wet they cannot overcome this chilling and
die.

Especially in a mild a climate as exists in Kentucky, a beekeeper should err
on the side of 'too much' ventilation, especially at the top of the hive, so
the warm moist air can quickly escape rather than condense when it meets the
cold air next to the hive cover.  Personally, I doubt it is possible to have
'too much' ventilation in Kentucky.

Here, near Albany, NY, I go through the winter with an open screen bottom
board and the hive cover set back from the hive body by about a 1/2" gap.
No problems that I can identify due to cold.

I know one guy near here (actually, north of here) who thought he would get
rid of two mean hives by overwintering them without covers of any kind!
They survived the winter just fine.

Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, manufacturer of comb honey equipment
for beekeepers and Sundance pollen traps.
http://www.rossrounds.com