From:
"Joel W. Govostes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 08:30:00 -0400
Hi Brett,

You don't need to wire both sides.

Cross-wires provide support for the combs during extraction, but a more
important function (especiallly in brood combs) is to ensure the foundation
is CENTERED and not bowed at all.  Even crimp-wired foundation will bow off
center, commonly, with the result that some cells on one side are deeper
than normal, and the opposing cells on the other side are too shallow.
BOTH can prevent the queen from filling them with brood well and evenly.
The worst part is that once the combs are built, it is very difficult to
tell if they are bowed or not.

The wire, in addition to providing structural strength to prevent sagging,
holds the foundation straight and true, in the center of the frame.  This
results in the best quality combs.

Run your cross-wires, then install the foundation to one side of the row of
wires.  Finally, embed the wires, to secure them to the foundation.

NOTE the wire doesn't have to be totally embedded.  I just set the frames
on the warm hood of my truck for a couple of minutes, to allow the wax to
soften, and then run a (hand) spur-embedder across the wires, gently
pressing them into the wax.  I have a board I cut which fits inside the
frame, which I lay the frame/foundation over, to give a solid surface over
which to do this.

The wax "sticks" to the wires well, so that the foundation is held true,
and the bees just build the comb over the wires.  You don't need to have
the wire "sunk" totally into the wax.

THe electric embedders can be tricky, if the wire does not contact the wax
evenly, or if it heats unevenly.  As long as the wire sticks to the
foundation enough to hold it, you are all set.

If you don't have a spur-wheel hand embedder, you could use a nail with the
tip cut off, or a thin dowel, just pressing the wire to the wax every half
inch or so.  This will work best if the wax is warm (slightly sticky) and
you should lay a piece of wood under the foundation so you have something
to press against, without stressing the wax sheet.

Have fun,

Joel Govostes          Freeville, NY