From:
"Peter L. Borst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:06:00 -0500
Greetings

From: Scot Mc Pherson

we know that European races (Italian, AMM and Carniolan) are one general
grouping, and scutellata is supposed to be the other grouping, what happens
when other breeds become involved or are subjected to the test? Caucasians
can display characteristics throughout the range of yellow to black
depending solely on their climate and latitude, so how can we deterimine
yellow caucasians from yellow AHB?

Reply:

In the paper  "Identification of Africanized Honey Bee Mitochondrial DNA",
by M. ALICE PINTO, they report on DNA testing on the various races in the
old world and their descendents in the new.

In this particular paper, they use these general groupings:

Eastern European (A. m. ligustica, A. m. carnica, A. m. caucasia) * Also
called eastern Mediterranean.

Western European (A. m. mellifera and A. m. iberiensis with A. m.
mellifera-like mtDNA)

Middle Eastern (A. m. syriaca, A. m. cypria)

African (A. m. iberiensis, A. m. intermissa , A. m. scutellata)

--
Peter