From:
Roy Nettlebeck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 08:43:11 -0800
LLOYDSPEAR wrote:

> Last year I did freeze drone brood an average of 3X per hive, and I almost
> completely use screened bottom boards, but don't know that those were the
> reasons why Varroa seemed non-existent last fall.
>  Hi  Lloyd and all,

 My Bees are in the best shape coming out of winter this year , against the last
5 to 6 years.
 I to use screened bottoms ( everything ). No meds in the fall.  I can feel and
see a shift
in behavior in my bees.  Much higher Hygienic behavior.  I use a 6 x 6 in piece
of paper towel
in the brood nest.. If I see it out in front of the hive within two days, I have
a bunch of Girls that clean house very well.
It is easy and fast. I can do all my hives this way. I do weed out the slow ones
and requeen.
  What we are seeing is more complex than any one thing. Mite genetics may be
changing in our favor.
How, I don't know , but its something to look at.
 Don't get complacent because of a good winter.We are not at any kind of finish
line. Now is the time to stay on top of the queen breeders for the best stock
possible. When that happens , then we can enjoy winters like this last one.
Best Regards
Roy