From:
Ernest Gregoire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:48:12 PST
Hello Gang,

The slow flow of messages here on the Bee-l is reflective
of this time of year for me.

I played a catch up ball game in 98, and promised myself
that it would not happen next year, (1999).

My 99 year supers are put together, painted, frames built
and foundation installed. I have read both bee books that
I received at Christmas as well as the last issues of
Bee Culture as I await the next issue.
 (I guess it's time to subscribe to another magazine).;-)

I have gone over my 98 records of weather and hive conditions.
I have reviewed my mistakes and taken steps to correct them,
be it more or better gear or knowledge.

I reviewed my notes from a bee workshop that I took last summer.
I made up a yearly beekeeping journal. Each month has an entry for an appropriate action if any. It also contains a daily section for
taking notes, as well as graph paper for recording hive configuration
and apiary layout. I keep track of how long the electric fencer
batteries last.
I continue to keep weather records in order to
help evaluate wintering over colonies.

Last week I sent a check to the Secretary of commerce here in NH
to register a trade name for my apiary. My wife and I will be
attending the local bee club meeting in January. I removed the
electric fencer from it's protective box in the apiary and will
change a couple of resistors to make it a 12 volt system rather
than a 6 volt system. ( 12 volt batteries are much easier to charge
and to obtain). I have 10 nuc boxes built, framed, and foundation
installed, and ready to go.

I have some meds on hand, enough for the Spring anyway, and I know
when and how to use them. I made up a growth plan. This means how
much growth can I deal with in the number of colonies I own.
I allowed some room in the plan for swarm traps that I will place in a couple of likely trees. I have ordered some nucs from a local supplier,
and will call a queen breeder with an order this week for the
Spring season.

So now I can take it easy and chat on the radio with folks around
the world. BTW, do we have any Ham Radio operators here on the BEE-l
who would like to chat? I have all band capability but 160 meters.

How about meeting on 15 meters on Sunday at 18:00 UTC?
I'll look for a clear frequency this week and post a message
here on the Bee-l.

de AA1IK,

Ernie Gregoire

R.R. 1, Box 221,