From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 15:36:00 GMT
PW>From: Paul Walton <[log in to unmask]>
  >Date:         Mon, 29 Jul 1996 13:21:21 +0100
  >Subject:      Re: Formic Acid

  ><[log in to unmask]> writes
  >> It is not a new chemical, or one with
  >>inherent dangers to the public or the beekeeper, only a new use of a
  >>old natural occurring chemical, and one at that which has been approved
  >>in other countries.
  ><snip>

PW>I think that this statement is a little missleading.

PW>My understanding is that formic acid is a particular nasty chemical and
  >should really be used in a fume cupboard. I believe that it can also be
  >absorbed through the skin. It is not, therefore, without danger to the
  >beekeeper.

Hi Paul,

Misunderstood, but not at all misleading, at least not here in the US.
One only has to read the not so user friendly labels of the products
available at your local garden supply store. Many of these here are
located in big chain drug stores and grocery stores. Formic acid is not
all that bad if the label precautions are followed. No more then
hundreds of off the shelf everyday use products that can be purchased
with the only requirement being the cash in hand.

We have mouse baits laced with peanut oil, yum, yum, that will kill
a 60# mouse. These look no different then good granola and I have in
fact handed the one shot packages to visitors and asked them to smell
and try them and had to take them back as they proceed to open the
package and give it the old taste test. One of these products had to be
pulled because no antidote was known. It was changed so it will
only kill a 30# mouse. Another garden product still available has never
failed to kill anyone who deliberately ingested it intent on death. Some
everyday cleaning products such as household bleach and ammonia when
combined in some years takes as many lives accidentally in the US as
honeybee stings.

My point is that though some would prevent the sale of all these
products in the interest of safety, they can be used with safety when a
little common sense is applied along with the product. The first among
these would be to read the label. And I suggest that beekeepers are as
good or better then the general public in having this common sense and
ability to read.

Another case would be the loss of cynogas as a treatment for combs in
storage. Wax moths, mice, and surly people could be killed with this
product. It was replaced with another product, phostoxin, now in use
that costs 20 times as much, requires training, and a licence to use.
The cautions and dangers are identical and use are identical to the
use of cynogas.

Fire still used every day in many homes can kill, and if not used with
common sense will not only kill the user but can escape and do much
damage to the neighborhood. I am sure there are many reasons to stop
the use of fire in homes and those in society that would do so.

Sure Formic Acid has some cautions when used, but they are no
different then many of the products we use everyday with little
problems in spite of the risks. It's main stumbling block in the
US is the fact it will cut into the sales of the one existing product
and sadly this is enough to hold it up for years as long as politics
and money are the fuel of our EPA and regulatory systems.

                           ttul Andy-

(c) Permission is granted to freely copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)Opinions are not necessarily facts. Use at own risk.