Date:
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 14:56:34 -0500
I received the following recipe from Poland.  I plan to try it this winter.

1.  Place 50 grams of finely ground propolis in a 0.5 litre glass jar.  Add
0.25 litre of rectified spirit (water solution of 96%+ ethyl alcohol) and
close tightly.
2.   Keep the solution in a dark, warm place for 10-14 days.  Shake often to
help dissolve the propolis.
3.  Pour off the dissolved propolis, minus the sediment, into dark glass
bottles and cap tightly.  Filtering out excessive sediment.  Store in a dark
place.

Here are a few applications for adults.  One should consult a doctor before
treating oneself - particularly if planning to take the propolis solution
internally.)

- Several times a day, rinse the throat with and drink 40 drops of propolis
solution in a glass of warm water to treat subborn cold, broncitis,
pneumonia.
- Drink 50 drops of propolis solution in a glass of warm water for stomach
aches.
- Drink 40 drops of propolis solution in a glass of warm milk on an empty
stomach for ulcers of the stomach and of the intestines.
- Drink 30 drops of propolis solution in a glass of warm water once a day
for high blood pressure until it's back in the normal range.
- Smear propolis solution on burns and difficult wounds on the body to
expedite the healing process.
- Athlete's foot and dandruff, fungus infections, may also be treated with
propolis solution.

So much for recommendations.  One should always take care about the source
of the propolis.  Roger Morse, in A Year in the Beeyard, cautions that 'bees
have been known to collect road tar, wet paint, and caulking compound in
areas where natural propolis is unavailable.'  This is probably an exception
and certainly not the case in my area - the propolis resin I collected has a
sweet, botanical fragrance.

Waldemar
Long Island, NY