From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 06:53:42 -0600
Hello Ari & All,

Ari said:
>Also last summer started to do candling.

Why did you start as I have never seen candling ever recommended in a
beekeeping book? I used the method all the time with my bird & waterfowl
eggs. Why not queen cells I thought!

I am looking for any sign of life. On the last day  before emergence some
movement should be detected when exposed to light. Candling can *in my
opinion* cause a faster emergence.

>So does this mean that cell is ok if the pupa with dark head moves up and
down in the cell when the cell is turned up / down ?

Has been my experience. Candling is not perfect with queen cells or fowl
eggs but will help raise your success percents. When I first started
candling fowl eggs in the early days I was not sure what I was looking at
but then after awhile I was fast and very accurate.

I am glad you posted. Many times the people on the list think my ideas are a
bit crazy unless another comes on to post they use the same method with
success. You  do think the effort is worth the time don't you Ari? I handle
all cells very gently as I am sure Ari does.

Do others on the list candle cells? Have others heard of the candling of
queen cells around the world?

Bob