From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:12:12 -0500
There are a lot of strawmen being erected in this discussion. I have
seen very few "irresponsible" beekeepers in my time as a beekeeper. I
have met some who were well meaning but ignorant. I met them because
they asked for help.  I enjoy educating those who need help, or I have
them call Tony Jadczak, our State Inspector, for the best advice.

For a long time I was the State point of contact for beekeeping. What I
encountered was a thirst for information and a desire on the part of
those who called to become educated in proper beekeeping.

I repeat, this whole discussion about AHB is what we went through with
both Tracheal Mites and Varroa when they first appeared.

AHB is a problem, but one we in the North will only be marginally
involved, compared to the mites.

We have two Continents and most of our Southern States where AHB is
found. They seem to be surviving without the panic I read here. Let us
learn from them and not just accommodate, but see if we can do it better.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine