From:
James Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:16:01 -0400
> Jim Fischer, who we no longer hear from,

Well, perhaps not as often as you might like, but I'm around.  :)

> once said that the migratory beekeepers are effectively
> assessing a tax on the rest of us.  All of us who are not
> migratory have to 'pay the price' for resistant AFB, SHB,
> mites resistant to fluvalinate and choumaphous, and now
> (here in the northeast) africanized bees.

Hold on there... while I did point out that migratory
operations inherently externalize their costs upon other
beekeepers unlucky enough to be in their path, this statement
("externalization of costs and internalization of profits")
was based upon something that is lacking in the specific
case of "AHB in the Northeast" - firm proof.

Further, I know of no reason why any migratory operator
would tolerate even a single highly aggressive hive, so
for the specific case of AHB, I think we should be able
to agree that all beekeepers have a shared agenda.  Given
that migratory operations tend to load and unload hives
onto trucks, it should be clear that ample opportunity
exists for highly defensive hives to be noticed during
the loading/unloading process.  I don't know anyone who
is so smooth a Swinger operator as to be able to move a
pallet containing a hive of AHB without, ummm, "noticing".  :)

> While I admit migratory beekeepers have to 'make a living',
> and pollination is necessary, who gave migratory beekeepers
> the right to assess monetary damage on the rest of us?

Who gave NON-migratory beekeepers the right to level
such accusations without strict proof?

I like to think about what happens AFTER "what comes next".
AHB present significant risks of civil damage suits against
a migratory operation, so I don't see the typical model
for externalizing costs at work here.  AHB can impact civilians.
The other diseases and pests impact only other beekeepers.

If AHB becomes a common problem in migratory areas, regulators
will be unable to cut the migratory boys any slack, due to the
"public health" implications of AHB in areas where the civilians
have not been educated.  This will require more extensive
inspections, as inspecting a "statistical sample" of hives will
not detect the (assumed) small number of highly aggressive hives
amongst the beekeeper's hives.

A smart migratory operation would start video taping their
that no hives in the load reacted in an extreme manner to the
bumping and jostling inherent in the process.  This would be
very effective proof that the beekeeper took "due care" to
assure that his load was "docile".

The effort could even make a profit - take selected segments
of tape and sell "America's Funniest Dropped-Pallet Videos" or,
for the segments that detect AHB hives, "Bees Gone Wild".

I'd pay $20 for such a tape, and so would you - admit it.