From:
Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:04:18 -0500
Someone asked me privately how to make screen bottom boards and hive stands,
and I thought my reply might be of interest to the List.  Here is a copy:

I have two methods I use for the screen bottom, but the hive stand is the
same.  I will describe both the screens and the hive stand.

All my hive stands are made from 2" X 12" pressure treated lumber.  I buy 6'
pieces and have the lumber yard cut 14" from the end of each piece (there is
not usually a charge for this).  In the bee yard, I use two of the long
pieces and the two 14" cutoffs to make a stand for two hives.  (I use a
battery powered drill and attach then cutoffs to the long boards with two 6"
long deck screws.)  The 14" pieces are braces that are each put about 12"
from the end.  As hives are about 20" long, putting them on a stand that is
14" wide (plus the thickness of the wood) makes a real steady hive.  After
cutting off the 14" pieces, the boards are each 4' 10" long, so there is
plenty of room for two 16" wide hives.  The best part of this is that the
12" wide board actually measure 10.5", raising the hives off the ground by
this much.  This keeps the hive entrances relatively clear of weeds and,
most important, means that I can inspect the hives without bending down
almost to the ground!  With some added height, taking supers off becomes a
breeze!

My hive stands cost me about $5 for each board, or $10 for a stand for two
hives.  They will last for 20 years or more.

I have two kinds of screens.  One is old queen excluders that are wood
bound.  If you can find them used, they are great.  Either attach them to
the bottom of your have with nails, or just put the hives on them.  When I
first used these I was skeptical as the bees have to turn upside down to
land and go through the screen, but they do so just fine.  Mice cannot get
in.  If you use this method, be certain to provide an upper entrance from
spring on, as otherwise a virgin queen needing to mate for supercedure, and
drones, cannot get out of the hive.

The other screen is 1/2" hardware cloth (available at hardware stores,
lumberyards, and farm supply stores) sandwiched between two 3/4" X 1" pieces
of wood on the two long sides and one of the short sides.  The other short
side is left unsupported and faces the front of the hive.  The bees use this
as an entrance.  I have had some hives where the bees extend burr comb from
the frames down to the hardware cloth, but this does no harm.  During late
fall, the entrance needs to be adjusted so mice cannot get in.

Sooner or later some bee supply dealer will make screen bottom boards
similar to those described, and will sell a great number.  Good luck!
Lloyd
Lloyd Spear, Owner, Ross Rounds, Inc.  The finest in comb honey production.
www.rossrounds.com