From:
Mike Tooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 0101 14:32:31 GMT
> In view of the recent discovery in this country of mites resistant to
> Apistan and Bayvarol, some radical rethinking of our attitude to varroa
> is needed.
>
> John E Dews - 27th September 2001
>
> --
> James Kilty

      James,you are right about that.We are never going to get rid of these
nasty parasites,so we have to learn to deal with the reality of the
situation.We have had a few years of almost 100% control with easy (though very
expensive)treatments.Our treated hives have sent out swarms that crashed 2
years later re-infesting our hives.This has been an on-going problem.
(sorry,folks,I think most of your 'resistant'feral hives are just swarms from
treated hives.It takes a very observant beekeeper to tell the difference)
 The beekeepers you refer to are on the right track,looking for resistance,and
using treatments that are not as effective as the chemical strips,but still
keep the varroa levels below the point of killing the bees.
  It was interesting to me that Wallner felt the Carniolan had the best chance
for resistance.Is this still true?Does anyone know how his bees are doing now?
Is he still relying heavily on formic acid?
           Mike
Tooley

This message was sent using InterStar WebMail