From:
Mike Stoops <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:16:22 -0800
Re Ruth's comments about human and bee communication.

I never intended to say that bees use facial expressions, aor any of the other complex things that humans do.  I was using that as a comparative.  Wolves have body language but I would never wag my tail when I greet someone I like.  Ruth, you are taking me too literal, not making the associations I was trying to use to explain.  I'm not saying dance language is what is used to convey information, but looking at me bees today, those bees weren't running around wiggling to some dance band.  Why does DL have to be completely excluded to the preference of odor?  Why can't the bees have more than one form of language?  I.E.  wagging tails, scratching marks on trees as high as the animal can reach, marking territory with scent, rolling over on one's back to show subservience?

I don't want to argue, nor win a point.  Nor do I want to be denigrated.

Mike in LA