From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:02:55 -0500
Jim said:
 so FIRST solve the underlying problem of meeting the US demand for honey
with US honey.

The U.S. beekeeper has no intention of producing all the honey for the U.S..
A few years ago we could not even sell our honey *UNLESS* WE CAME DOWN TO
THE .37 a pound chinese honey was selling for. Take the offer or walk away
the packers said. Tens of thousands of barrels of U.S. honey sat in
warehouses while the packers only bought enough U.S. honey to blend the
baker grade honey produced in Mexico/ Argentina and CHINA with.

What goes around comes around!

Now the beekeeper is in control and using his windfall profits to pay sharp
lawyers to change the playing field.

The worst packer offender has now went bankrupt.

Jim said:
As it stands now, we consume more than we produce, and we had better be nice
to our counterparts who fly different flags, 'cause
without them, the supply of honey to the consumer would be about as
dependable
as

I agree! The U.S. will always in my opinion need to import honey BUT WHEN
ALL THE COMMERCIAL BEEKEEPERS HAVE WENT BANKRUPT AS WAS HAPPENING IN THE
90'S who is going to do the U.S. crop pollination?

Only a few senators even cared.

Our government protected us from the packers in the 1980's to keep us from
going out of business and to keep the crops pollinated.

The U.S. honey producer was indeed on the endangered species list! The Honey
board even sold a T shirt saying the above!

Then a few senators complained about the money only going to a few
beekeepers. Millionaire beekeepers were the words they used. We lost the
program . One of my close friends was one of the beekeepers they talked
about. He was hardly in the millionaire category!

We could not believe all the BS a few senators in Washington were saying
about millionaire beekeepers!

Right now the beekeepers are dealing the cards instead of the packers!

 As Clint Eastwood would say:

"All you honest packers step away from the dishonest packers when the
shooting starts!"

Bob

Missouri- home of famous outlaws!