From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2005 23:05:46 -0500
I presume that there will be always a market for the different honeys as presented to the general public.
Ranging from honey in the comb, pressed, raw extracted, extracted and Pasteurized through to the Ultra
filtrated/ heated to levels that could (should?) be considered beyond the norms for true honey.

The percentage market share depends on factors such as: Knowledge of individual purchasers, availability of
honey type and quality, latest trend passing through the health food industry, price, regulations etc.

The present situation as seen from the "normal" producer in the western world is one where market control has
been lost - to mass producers in countries where there is limited transparency regarding production techniques.

Coupled to the above is the willingness for importing packers to purchase this "unknown honey type" until a
problem is proven.

Western producers are inflicted with ever more stringent production controls whilst watching larger and larger
quantities of "uncontrolled" honey arrive in the stores.

Uncontrolled in the sense of proven information not being supplied about production techniques.
One only has the end resulting "pot" visible - and that usually has minimal evidence of previous treatment
regimes.

Here (Canada.), the authorities have the ability to demand and have shown evidence that proper production
procedures have been adhered to.

It is stated by the packers themselves (amongst others) that to ensure continued future sales, beekeepers
needs to comply to the latest regulations and be prepared to move with projected changes.

Whilst this is being done, the same packers are undermining costly production enhancement by buying the
cheapest material on the market - honey that is impossible to ensure is being produced in conditions and with
techniques they demand of their own national producers.

Adding insult to injury, as indicated in previous mails - the good name of honey is being ripped of by
manufacturers who use it in quantities that are at legal limit for the name to be used.

Adding confusion to insult - there appears to be the situation developing where the word honey is being used
in products that may not contain honey at all.

Difficult to imagine, but there needs to be a well organised offensive to stop this continued devaluation of
honey. There needs to be a collective action by the national organisations to protect honey and develop an
awareness in the open market.

Governmental bodies are too limited in cash supply and manpower to undertake the task. Other matters are
considered more important.
We have to defend ourselves - or sink into a marrass of crystal clear goo.

Why am I thinking of the "Boston Tea Party"!!!!

I see Beef, Eggs, Turkey, Pork, Oranges, you name it being pushed by associated production boards.
I see Jams, Burgers and thousands of other edible products in flyers as pushed into my mail box.

Honey - one only hears about it when a quaint individual is shown on TV  or bees are dead in piles before. hives.

If those producers/manufacturers of Ultra filtered, heavily heated honey as presented to the general public in
supermarkets etc. believe that their product is a proper reflection of true honey - then I would be pleased to
be sent a letter stating the fact. One indicating the reasoning supporting their position.

I suggest that most honey as presented to the general public via. the Food retailing industry is an insult to
most producers.

Regards,

Peter