From:
Bob & Liz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:11:23 -0500
Hello Frank & All,
As I said in a previous post " the concept is not new about breeding a
stronger mite through drone brood removal."
 The problem with the hypothesis is:
Varroa is happy to reproduce in worker brood. Consider for example drone
brood as only a preference in available food. As Dr. Shiminuki said at the
first ABF convention when he introduced the concept to us. The benefits out
way the remote chance of creating a mite which prefers drone brood only.
Removing drone brood is a excellent way to reduce varroa load for a hobby
beekeeper with time on his hands. The drone removal practice is not done by
any sideliner or commercial beekeeper I am aware of simply do to the amount
of work involved and the chance the operator might not make it back in time
to pull the drone comb.
Dr. Shiminuki also said that for IPM to work several different tools need to
be used. The top three were drone brood removal, open mesh floors and
breeding from varroa resistant stock. In Dr. Shiminuki's opinion all three
would be needed to get away from chemical treatment. Shim's talk was years
ago so he may have a different opinion today. Dr. Shiminuki for those not
familiar with the name was the person in charge of the main bee lab in
Beltsville, Maryland until he retired about a year ago. "Shim" was one of
the most knowledgeable bee researchers I ever met. "Shim" always took the
time to answer my questions but his answers were brief and he moved on. A
talent I wish I could develop.
Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Odessa, Missouri