From:
"Joseph A. Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 08:49:15 -0400
Hello All,

I recently put my colony on top of a screen bottom board, using 1/8"
hardware cloth.
I've also elevated the hive about 18" off the ground, using a stand based
on a plan I
received via direct e-mail from Jim Grefig in NY state.

I've noticed that the cluster of bees fanning at the entrance is smaller
than when I
had the solid bottom board, so I would think it's due to better ventilation
from below.
I have the telescoping top cover propped open about 1/2" at the front, so
that most of any
rainwater drips down the back of the hive and not onto the landing board.
Before replacing the bottom board, I had evidence of yellow jackets robbing
the hive.  The
bees had just superceded the queen and I saw no evidence of new brood
yet.  I received
a suggestion from our club's master beekeeper to reduce the hive entrance,
so I cut a
piece of quarter-round molding (used on baseboards to hide the junction of
wall and floor)
long enough to give the bees about a 3-1/2" opening.

Since high temperatures during the day have been alternatively in the low
80's up to the mid-
90's here in the Tidewater region of Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach,
Portsmouth, Chesapeake,
and Suffolk), would it be best for the bees to remove that quarter-round
and give them a full width
opening?  The colony is quite strong, and I have had that corroborated by
our local
agricultural inspector from the state - she focuses on beehives, since she
works directly
for the state apiarist.

Long winded account for a simple question, I realize.  I felt some
background information would
help you formulate your answers.

Thank you all,

Joe