From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 23:22:24 +0100
The only problem that I have come across with blowing bees is during our Sunflower honey harvest.
The amount of honey packed into the frames and supers during a normal crop resulted in brace/ intersuper comb being
built and then packed with very sticky/ runny honey.
Bee space was maintained at proper dimensions etc. This was due to the type of bee being used.
Given plenty of space at the right time etc. did not halt the production of this type of comb - they wanted the honey
packed down and tight and that meant filling all spaces!
So, blowing bees after separation of supers resulted in streams of honey mixing together and getting spread on the
floor/ ground - a most undesirable situation.

Gave up blowing during this harvest but very successful during the rest of the year. Propped up the supers on their side
and blew into the open space behind. Any clinging bees were dealt with several minutes after the next super had been
practically cleared.

Abandoning of supers - the honey would be back in the original and surrounding hives before we managed lunch, with
drones helping!

wet, wet weather and a wet week forecast here in central France.

Peter