From:
Peter Detchon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 09:56:25 +0800
Walter asked for a label making program. "Maestro" from On-Line labels is  a free program that may fit the bill.

I have used an inexpensive colour laser printer to print on glossy label stock...it wore out in 12 months! Not designed for more than occasional home use. Manufacturer recommends a mid range machine costing substantially more.

I also use printed labels as well as home  made ones. Cannot recommend getting 10 years supply of printed labels in one hit, despite the cost advantage....adhesive deteriorates with age. My supplier recommends 2 years as an approximate safe storage time.

As regards design style, Jim Fischer had some very incisive recommendations on Bee-L about 2-3 years ago. Seemed like excellent advice to me. It will be in the archives somewhere.

Hope this helps someone.

PeterD
(Feeling very cold in wintery Western Australia)