From:
Peter Chiang Mai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2012 23:32:34 -0400
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Apiburg III hornet and intruder trap (which apparently includes wax moth and SHB). The following link is to a pdf which explains what the trap is all about (the link should all be on one line, right click the link and save as pdf, double clicking may not work)
http://www.apimondia.com/congresses/2009/Bee-Health/Symposia/APIBURG%20-%20a%20mechanical%20protection%20of%20honeybee%20colonies%20from%20hornets%20and%20other%20intruders%20-%20IFANTIDIS%20Michael.pdf
and the following link appears to expand on some of the points
http://www.apimondia.com/congresses/2009/Bee-Health/Symposia/Comparison%20of%20trap%20designs%20against%20the%20Yellow-legged%20hornet%20Vespa%20velutina%20nigrithorax%20-%20MAHER%20Nevile.pdf

The write up makes this sound to be just too good to be true.  The presentation misses a few of the design points and I note that what is shown looks rather like a prototype.  Google comments suggest that this design has been around for a year or two now though.

So has anyone used this trap at all?  Or does anyone have any comments about the design?  (on list or off ...  I am happy for any feedback)