From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 21:09:32 -0500
Hello David and All,

> A number of years ago there was an article in "ABJ" or "Bee Culture," I do
> not recall which, concerning honey house design.

If you could narrow down the year and magazine I might could find the
article .

I believe the article you refer to was a series of articles done on Leon
Metz new honey house by Leon Metz. ABJ I believe.  From memory which is
usually correct Leon used a high density concrete which is available from
most concrete places with special order (and extra cost).

Leon ran the articles as the work was being done. Things went wrong at the
end and if memory serves me correct the *jack hammer* was put into play or a
certain part had to be redone.

This article stated that
> due to the properties of honey it was recommended that an additive be
added
> to the concrete mix to insure its integrity.

I do not remember a article which talked about a additive. Most beekeepers
(and myself) use regular concrete and  use a sealer before a drop of honey
ever touches the bare concrete and make sure the seal is allways working.

Honey will take the top off unsealed concrete. All health regulations in all
states require a sealed floor so you rarely see concrete problems except in
Illegal food processing areas and in areas  in which the sealer has not been
kept up.

ALWAYS CHECK WITH THE LOCAL HEALTH DEPARTMENT WHEN BUILDING A NEW HONEY
HOUSE *BEFORE CONSTRUCTION*

 . Small operators might not need  too but if selling in stores they can
shut you down, make the inspection and keep you shut down till you pass
inspection.

Not checking can be expensive.

Hide the attitude with health inspectors as they CAN do the above and can be
hard to deal with.

The most common problem with concrete work I have seen is failure  to finish
the floor so water will flow into drains correctly and leaving areas usually
against the wall behind an extractor with a place where water  will puddle.
If not removed with each floor washdown the spot will become a  light  dark
mold   which health departments  always will write you up for.  Hardly
noticeable to anyone BUT the health inspector.

I steam and pressure wash the floor twice a year. Before and after
extracting and seal the floor with a clear sealer once a year.

Most health departments will leave you alone UNLESS they get a complaint.
These usually come from your competitor the first time you place honey on a
store shelf next to his/hers.
Other competitor problems:
His honey in front of yours on your shelf.
Your honey pushed to back of shelf.
Your honey back in box on top of shelf.
When you ask your competitor about these things he will blame the customers
so why bother asking. Check store shelves often.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison