From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 07:54:41 -0400
Colleen,

You may have a long term problem or you may not. Sings around the eyes
and other "soft tissue" areas tend to swell up even with beekeepers who
are stung often. I had a similar reaction when I had a couple of stings
around my eyes (don't ask how they got under my veil). Plus, there are
times when even the most stung of us will have a reaction, such as
massive swelling, for no good reason, and will never experience it
again.

Also, if you have been taking medication, specifically Ibuprofen and
other anti-inflamitories like it, you might get allergic reations. There
have been some reports that it can cause allergic like reactions when
stung. I had to take it for a while and did get stung and did have an
allergic reaction (hives) when I have never ever had such a reaction
when stung. I shifted to asprin and no problems since.

In any case, you should have an epipen nearby no matter what. Actually
anyone who keeps bees should have one. Cheap insurance. Your doctor will
be happy to prescribe one.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Me