From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 07:32:24 -0400
Peter Dillon wrote:

> This being due to the the need to back up positions with data, experience etc., which demands v. specific knowledge from
> the start point.
> Most individuals have a gut feeling for or against this type of investigation - but maybe influenced by sound advice.

And there is the rub. Sound research and advice are hard to come by when
you have advocacy science. If you look at some of the most controversial
scientific issues of our age, there are studies that are cited that seem
to support both sides. Often old, flawed studies are used to support a
position.

Which is why the issue of GMO will go nowhere, if we are going to
discuss it in its totality and not keep it at the bee level. Even there
it has generated more heat than light.

But, if we are going to talk about it in general, there is an excellent
article warning of what can happen with genetically modified corn at

http://oregonmag.com/PegsBottom.htm

It is in print, so it must be true. Have to add it to my list of
citations.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine