From:
Juanse Barros <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2010 03:30:08 +0100
>Could you please go into more detail?

My pleasure

>How much to use and how? How to know what is enough? Recovery time? Side
effects? Robbing? Etc...?

We use a french system for queen rearing (Nicolette I think is the brand).
This system allows to cage the cells for the queen to be born in it. Therefore
it is quite easy to have the virgin queens - without an incubator - inside a
cage.

We make the nucs (no need to explain how?) then place the v.queen (inside
the cage), inside the nuc box. Then we "sleep" the whole lot with amonium
nitrate. The bees (including the v.queen) will remain sleep for some 5 to 10
minutes. I haven't seen any side effects. No robbing.

How much? Well we light the smoker quite heavilly. Then place like a spoon
full of amonium in it. When you ear the smoker "bubbling" and the color of
the smoke turns dark, we puff some two to three times under the lid or by
the entrance. If we open and there are too many bees "awake" we puff some
more.

Will that clear the subject?

--
Juanse Barros J.