From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Sep 2000 07:01:40 -0400
"GUILLAUME, Rene" wrote:

> I think this problem will be resolved by Api-Mellifera but with some time.
> In effect this is not same scale in génétic life racing (in accordance to
> the low of Sir Darwin) between Varroa (about 12 generations in one year) and
> Api-Mellifera (about 1 generation every 4 years). At this proportionality,
> Varroa is very far away in front before all the Bees (Genetic variation is
> about 48 times fastened to Varroa than Bee !!!!)

Rene's comments, along with several others, lead to another way of looking
at our varroa problem.

If the mite can naturally select faster than the bee, is it therefor
possible that the mite will select for better accommodation with the bee so
both can survive? It seems possible since it makes little sense to kill off
your host totally since your species also dies off. We may be too
interested in changing the bee and not also looking at the mite.
Any balance will probably not happen quickly. We are treating to kill the
mite, so any selection will be toward the mites survival in the face of the
treatment and not to come into balance with the bee.
Is the Varroa in the Southwest the same as what we have in the Northeast?
If it is not, then- hold on to your hats here- would the introduction of
the Southwest varroa to the rest of the country help select out the more
virulent Varroa? My guess is that will happen naturally over time, but by
treating, we are slowing the process down considerably.

Some philosophy.
I enjoy these discussions. I have no problem trying 4.9 foundation or
menthol cough drops or FGMO on my hive, since I am a hobbyist and have
little to lose. What does concern me is the pack attitude that comes from
single data points- it works for me therefor it works for all. Anyone who
keeps bees and has any success with new techniques, if they are honest with
others, tells them - it works for me, but your conditions may be different.
With so many variables in beekeeping that is the only honest comment we can
make until controlled experiments demonstrate the new techniques work and
why. It may not be the 4.9 foundation, but the beekeepers practices,
equipment, location, smoker fuel, nectar source, bee or even the mite that
is the reason for the control.

In the essential oils and FGMO hysteria, way too many jumped on those
bandwagons and lost everything. The problem is, we do not see them posting
on the list after the crash. Pride is one reason, but usually they just
give up beekeeping and disappear. I will never forget, during the essential
oils discussion many years ago, an email I received from a beekeeper who
lost all 40 of his hives after following that pack. I can only thank God
that I did not follow, since I was just beginning and had I lost everything
I might also have quit, like he did.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, ME