From:
Michael Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:14:28 -0400
>   I attribute loses to fluctuting temps, cold early winter, mild Jan. and
> Feb., then cold March.

I don't know...We had fluctuating temperatures. Below zero to above 50 to
below zero...all winter long.

>The variability in wintering is a killer these days.
>On the plus side, I get a chance to cull combs and really clean equipment
>indead-outs.

Once I began selecting for tracheal resistance, that variability mostly
disappeared. I wish you could see my bees right now. Large clusters, hives
packed with bees. Pollen has just started coming in. Surely a much longer
winter than in NC!

I think the big plus is in the colonies that survived. Winter IS the great
equalizer! The junk died off. Raise some queens from the best survivors,
and see what that does.

Mike