From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 12:10:06 EDT
   The active ingedient in Apistan strips is fluvalinate, a synthetic
pyrethroid. It's naturally occuring cousin is pyrethrum, a plant derivative.
   I am confused about how rapidly fluvalinate degrades. It seems that
assertions about the potency of fluvalinate depend somewhat on whether we're
talking about it's use as a varroa treatment vs. its potential as a food
contaminant.
   There are many posts in the archives about fluvalinate's potential as a
food contaminant. One report in the B-eel archives shows a researcher
concluding, "that a return to fluvalinate-free wax, would take an estimated
fifty years, provided there was no chemical usage for that time period."
   Yet we're admonished on the U.S. label for Apistan strips: "Wastes
resulting from use of this product may be disposed of on site or at an
approved waste disposal facility."
  If fluvalinate hung around for 50 years, it would be a threat to soil and
groundwater, and we wouldn't be allowed to dispose of it on-site.
   Furthermore, it seems to be generally accepted knowledge that Apistan
strips deteriorate quickly when the package is opened or exposed to light.
  So why is it that when we're talking about fluvalinate and food, it's as
potent as radioactive waste or AFB spores, but as a pesticide, it's life can
be measured in days and months? I don't get it.
   How rapidly does fluvalinate break down and become inert?