From:
David Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 01:33:40 EDT
In a message dated 9/10/98 12:17:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, (Tom Barrett)
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Thomas Cornick writes regarding killing the bees. If this is regretfully the
>  only option I would mention the following.
>
>  Beekeepers in our association tend to use petrol (gasoline) if they are
>  obliged to kill the bees. Wait until evening when all the bees are in and
>  pour a pint of petrol into the feed hole, seal up the hive and they all die
>  fairly quickly.

   Good Grief!!

   That much gasoline will run right through and contaminate the ground. Who
wants to add a known carcinogen to ground water?

   A quarter cup will kill the bees. It will also ruin the equipment. After
weeks of airing out, bees probably still won't stand for these frames in a
hive, so I could only see it in case of foulbrood, where the equipment will
also be burned.

    People are waaaaaaay to free to slop around gasoline! And it is showing up
in more and more wells. We just had a large area recently where wells have
turned up contaminated with gas and whole neighborhoods were forced to connect
to public water supplies. Once contaminated, it may take generations to
cleanse ground water supplies.

    Tom, I thought Europeans were much more environmentally conscious than
most Americans. You just shot my stereotype all to bits!

[log in to unmask]     Dave Green  Hemingway, SC  USA
The Pollination Scene:  http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html
The Pollination Home Page:    http://www.pollinator.com

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop    (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm