From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:17:28 EDT
In a message dated 7/2/00 8:33:38 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< ...has anyone else used the plastic cell or frames in the medium depth
supers? >>

   I have a different problem with plastic foundation in medium wood frames.
I bought my frames from one manufacturer, and my foundation from another.
There seems to be a problem with the fit, but it's not a consistent problem.
Sometimes the frames seem too shallow for the plastic foundation and it
forces the bottom bar to bow, or the foundation to bow, or it forces the
nails out, or even splits the bottom bar. It seems as though either the frame
is a little too shallow, or the foundation is a little too tall. But
sometimes the fit is just right and the foundation seats loosely but snugly
in the frame.
   I haven't had a chance to stop yet and take measurements to find out which
equipment (foundation or frames) is causing this (mostly because I'm trying
to work quickly and stay ahead of the bees).
   Of course there are fixes for all this— cut the foundation, use extra
nails, etc. But I resent spending the time and money to do a lot of extra
work to make the equipment field ready. It negates the time-saving advantage
of using plastic in the first place.
   Has anybody had problems with mixing and matching equipment from the major
bee supply manufacturers? I've shopped around for the cheapest deals on
equipment, but I'm beginning to consider the importance of buying all my
equipment from the same source, if it will ensure all the equipment will all
fit together well when I go assemble it.
John