From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:01:15 EDT
In a message dated 7/20/00 10:17:07 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< They don't compare prices at a grocery store, and people will pay a good
price for
a quality honey, well packaged, and well PRESENTED. >>

   Here's a question from a neophyte wholesaler who just bottled and sold a
harvest off to several farm stands: How much of our quality, niche product
(my label and packaging are attractive, distinctive) will be bought by people
who will slowly consume one jar over the course of a year, and how much is
bought by people who will keep buying because it is a regular part of their
diet?
   Will honey sales be brisk at first from the farm stands and then taper off
as the season goes on, or will regulars keep sales going, or will there be a
rush at the end of the season as people stock up for the rest of the year?
  I'm interested in what patterns beekeepers have noticed in farm stand
retail sales through harvest season. One farm stand operator, who is not
selling my brand, told me the honey just sits there and doesn't get bought
until the fall. Perhaps all sales patterns are local and generalizations
can't be made, but I'm curious what others' experiences are with this (The
real question behind this is how often and how much am I going to need to
resupply these particular accounts).