From:
"Joseph A. Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:39:02 -0400
>Sadly bees don't *like* dogs.
This is unfortunate.  My neighbor's yard abuts on my yard about 12 feet
from my
hive.  They have 2 Labrador Retrievers and a small mixed breed.  I've already
told my neighbor that I will move the hive immediately if the bees cause a
problem with the dogs.  Both husband and wife have assured me that they
have no objection to the bees, and in fact, welcome them.

I hope that their welcome isn't changed by the dogs getting stung.  There is
a chain-link fence between our yards, and the dogs do not go out of their
yard, and they aren't usually hanging around near the fence.  The neighbor
keeps their water dish in the house, so that's not a problem.  My hive
entrance faces parallel to the fence line, so the bees don't fly toward the
fence when they leave the hive.

>  I have seen dogs stung by bees many times for no
>apparent reason. I was standing in the same place as the dog without any
>protection and not one bee even buzzed me.  I don't know if its the dogs
>smell or simply they are at entrance level.
I wasn't even aware that bees don't like humans' breath until I read the
article in ABJ.  I've been puffing the bees off the feeder jar to refill it.
Since reading that article, I give it a shake, and let them fly off back
to the hive.  I wonder if the bees take offense at the dog's breath, since
it would be natural for the dog to sniff around the entrance.

>Sincerely,
>Bob Harrison
>Odessa, Missouri

Joseph A. Clark