From:
P-O Gustafsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:02:31 +0200
> From: Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>

> I want a bee based on AMM because nature tells me that it is right for
> the circumstances, I want a bee that is stable and breeds true, is fit
> for modern beekeeping and the pests it is going to encounter.

Hi Dave,

I do understand what you are trying to achieve, however I'm not so
sure it's going to be that successful.

I don't know about the UK, but I would assume it's not that different
to what is going on here. I'm talking about the general change in
beekeeping that's been going on for a while. The change from hobby
towards commercial beekeeping. There are fewer hobbyists for every
year, while those of us making a living from bees increase the number
of hives. Total number of hives is fairly stable. This will mean
demand for easy managed bees suited for larger operations will
increase. Those bees that need swarm preventive actions etc, that
takes longer time to manage will not be suitable. We live in a world
where profit sets the rules, like it or not...

And I have a hard time to believe our ancestors were fools. I believe
they made their selection based on the knowledge they had at the time.
They choosed to change from a.m.m. to other races because they found
them to be better suited for the purpose.

> following like that which has grown up for the Buckfast cause,

No Dave, nothing "grew up for the cause", they simply were better
bees. That's why we choose them. Now I do appreciate your work, and
hope it will continue as we need variation and keep genes for the
future. Who knows, you might prove me wrong :-)

--
Regards

P-O Gustafsson, Sweden
http://beeman.se